Friday, January 27, 2012

blogs about logs? sure.

Well after finishing the most emotional math test I've ever done (lots of jumping up and pouding my fists on the table when I made breakthroughs, good thing they put us in a seperate room for tests)I can safely say that logarithms are the weirdest thing I've encountered in math so far. I mean, just the concept of it, What number when acting as the exponent to a number gives me a certain number? Learning logs is like learning a different language.

During the test there was one trick that is probably responsible for any possibility of me passing the test, the trick is what I call "The Flippy Floppy" or as Miss McGoldrick called it, "Counterclockwise trick" or something like that and it is when you need to change a logarithmic equation into an exponential equation and vice verse.

Let me show ya!
Silly, I know, but this one little rule is so important with logarithms, it's the seed from which the whole unit sprouts from! Anyways, just thought I'd express my feelings for the Flippy Floppy. Next time I'll teach you the Whirly Whirl! :D

2 comments:

  1. So true. Logs are the weirdest thing we'll ever do I think. It's so complicated and when you get it, you wonder why you didn't get it in the first place.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Arnold, Friday afternoon I decided to check the blogs on the off chance someone had responded to the test, and the first one I read was yours - bingo! I'm so glad you did this. So I was right about the whole suffering thing? It's like you have to get to the bottom of logs before you can get over them. I'm so happy that flippy floppy thing helped - and I LOVE the visual aid! GREAT post!

    ReplyDelete